Now, this is what I have been practicing myself for some time and thus can vouch for its effectiveness. This one simple habit every morning makes me more humble, gives me a bigger perspective of life and my role in this world; and that eventually sets the tone of my whole day.
Do this and it might give you the same benefits.
So every morning, I wake up and while sipping my hot cup of fresh coffee I browse my email — the UPDATES part of the email. This is where most of my subscribed newsletters from non-profit organizations go.
Now, most of you might not have tried this, but I would urge you to at least give it a spin- for maybe a week or so. Confronting these emails the first thing in the morning gives my day a completely different attitude. Here are the ways it has helped me:
- It allows me to connect with my passion the first thing in the morning. And isn’t that great? There are so many things fighting for our attention the whole day — work, studies, family, and whatnot; it’s no wonder so many of us feel that guilt of not being able to do what we love or give more to the world than we want to.
- It tells me that I am but a very small part of this entire world. Whatever your concerning cause is- it most probably introduces you to the plight of others in this world- others who are not as fortunate or privileged as you are. It forces you OUT of your comfort bubble early in the day. I wake up and acknowledge the fact that I share this world with a lot of its other cohabitants and must not hold any selfish proprietary rights over it.
- It gives me hope that I can help somebody. Whether it is signing a petition for a purpose close to my heart or getting that happy update on the donation I made a while back — reading these emails instantly puts me in a more optimistic mood and I get ready to tackle harder issues with a more favorable view of the world.
- It allows me to do more than just live. Sure we all do our parts and sometimes there is only so much you can do, but I personally experienced that I could do more than I assumed by just being aware of the things outside my zone. I always thought I was doing the best I can; it turns out- I could do a lot more- like start this blog and an Instagram account to connect with more people on the same journey and hopefully spread awareness.
- It compels me to appreciate what is actually important. In our fast-paced lifestyle, it is easy to lose focus. I can just as easily grab a chicken sandwich at the coffee shop while on my way to work instead of eating my vegan breakfast at home with my family. What changes that? Knowing that my actions, even small unconscious ones, contribute a lot more in the bigger scheme of things than what I presume. I might be just a small human- but I have the will to make better choices — choices that can save an animal’s life today or slow the deterioration of our world tomorrow.
Now I would like to however add that my husband does this exercise just before he sleeps, to wake up with a fresh outlook and finds it equally serving. I myself cannot do that- it won’t let me sleep because of my anxiety. But since he has to manage a lot of different time zones in his line of work, he has adjusted this simple habit according to his schedule and you can too!
To further add a little more context to this post, I am hereby sharing some of the organizations I am subscribed or a member of:
- Anonymous for the Voiceless
- UN Women
- Care2 Petitions
- World Animal Protection
- Four Paws
As you can probably gather from this list- animal rights, gender equality, and healthcare for the underprivileged are some of the missions I advocate for. While the international sites of these organizations provide a great deal of knowledge about their causes on a global scale, getting in touch with their local sites (of your respective countries) would give you more opportunities to participate in the action first hand or get on top of the volunteer work as when it becomes available.
Share the causes you support in the comments. Let’s spark a conversation. Let’s get more people involved.